Do you have creativity, practicality and the enthusiasm for great design that we’re looking for?
Davies and Begbie are building a great creative team to deliver design and manufacturing services through our “Makersmith” brand and our own products through the “Two Green Leaves” brand.
We are small but have great visions that inspire us and want you to be inspired too:
Our vision for Makersmith is:
“To be the UK’s most satisfying company; to be a place for businesses to come to create whatever they can’t buy off the shelf.”
And our vision for Two Green Leaves is:
“To enable people to create and enjoy their own sustainable environment”
We are driven by creativity, practicality and an enthusiasm for great design and our focus is on developing a profitable, inspiring and enjoyable business.
As a Product Designer you will have responsibility for a range of activities, from meeting clients and developing concept designs to carrying out market research and hands-on manufacture. We want people who can creatively engage with what we do and take an initial idea and deliver a finished product with all the detail work and communications involved in between. We are stretching our business and you will be stretched too.
- Deliver design services for our clients ranging from full product design to a simple single drawing
- Create new own-brand products from concept to production including prototyping and market roll-out.
- Liaise with clients, suppliers and sub-contractors to support project targets.
- Manage whole project life-cycles from first contact to final delivery.
- Research and analyse target markets and successfully deliver services and products into those markets
Who you are is as important as what you can do. As a minimum we are looking for someone with these essential Hard Skills:
- Minimum educational level of HND in Product Design, Mechanical Engineering or other similar physical product design subject.
- Minimum experience of 3 months product, building or engineering design using 3D CAD, preferably SolidWorks for creating of product assemblies, components and drawings
- Experience of design of products using a combination of materials including metals, timber, glass & plastics. Demonstrable through previous design in-job design work or educational projects.
- Able to use Microsoft Office products: Excel, Word, Outlook (Email) & PowerPoint
- Able to use the internet.
- Clear written communication with correct grammar & spelling. Ability to structure technical reports clearly and logically.
And these essential Soft Skills:
- Creative thinker – constantly seeking to improve and add value to specific products, tasks and the business as a whole.
- Able to engage confidently in internal team meetings and activities with clear and persuasive written and verbal communications.
- Able to engage with clients suppliers through effective listening and good verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrable positive contribution to product value and business development in previous job roles.
- Attention to detail: able to resolve designs to full production detail, making no assumptions and leaving no loose ends.
- Awareness of the important relationship between time, quality and cost demonstrable through previous project work or research.
- Capable of approaching tasks with a questioning attitude, making no assumptions about task requirements and available information.
- Able to research ideas, markets and information thoroughly and apply an analytical approach to research results presenting findings clearly and cogently.
- Adaptable and willing to carry out a wide range of tasks in a flexible job role that is responsive to client and market needs.
- A personal interest in design and creativity.
- Willing to get involved in the full range of business processes including manufacturing, marketing & client interfaces as well as design.
We have a great rural location in Wykeham, near Scarborough, North Yorkshire on the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors National Park and 6 miles from the sea – surfing, mountain biking and 1500km2 of National Park on your doorstep…
- Salary £20k-£28k depending on experience
- Flexitime and part home-working options
Potential for personal and career development in a small but expanding company where you can get involved with the full product life cycle.
Please call this number: 01723 336152
And leave a voicemail in response to the message you hear.
If we would like to hear from you further we’ll call you and ask for you to send us your CV
If we want to meet you we will arrange for an initial interview where you will also be asked to carry out a DISC behavioural profile assessment.
Finally we will interview a short list of candidates, check your references and make an appointment.